It is easy to create your own community nursery. The facilities and structures can be very basic and simple and you can start small, as we did, and progressively build the structures that make producing plants easy. Have a look at all the aspects of this website and come along to the Southland Community Nursery to gain the knowledge and skills you need. Growing your own plants is a skill that will benefit you and your family forever.
You’ll need to know the basics before embarking on your own nursery project. This includes:
- Knowledge of the plants you want to grow
- Growing techniques
- Identifying and collecting seed
- Propagating from seed and cuttings
- Timing of nursery activities – in particular, relating to Southland’s climate and seasons.
The following are essential to establishing a successful nursery:
- Plant standing areas with weedmat
- Plant frames or cloches to protect seeds and cuttings
- A place for potting mix (preferably accessible by vehicle)
- A potting bench
- A reliable water supply.
Nice to Have
The following are nice to have, but not essential:
- A shadehouse for protecting tender seedlings in winter
- An undercover potting shed
- An automatic watering system
- Raised standing areas/irrigation beds.
You’ll need the following materials and supplies before you start growing:
- Potting mix (commercial – no weeds)
- Planter bags, pots and trays
- Pea gravel to cover pots for weed control
- River gravel for cuttings
Nursery Activities Calendar for Southland
|Plan for Next Year||*|
|Take a Holiday!||*|
Contact us for more information and advice. Better still, stop in for a visit and see the nursery for yourself!