The Nature Education Centre is a great venue for preschool groups, school groups and workshops.
For Schools (pre/primary/secondary)
Have fun getting close to nature - the Nature Education Centre is suitable for all ages.
Learn about conservation studies, including:
- native plants
- animal pests
- restoration ecology
- wetland studies
Get busy! Our hands-on activities include:
- growing native plants - seed collecting, taking cuttings and potting up
- learning how to identify native plants
- learning how to create gardens or habitats - including riverside (riparian) plantings
- attracting native birds
Assistance with lesson planning and delivery of lessons on site may be available through the following:
- Environment Southland, Environmental Education Team (03 2115115)
- Outside the classroom education lessons - Lloyd Esler (03 2130404)
We have developed a range of site-specific learning resources to help you get the most out of your visit. Download them as PDFs or use the hard-copies available at the Nature Education Centre.
- Activity Cards - a range of outdoor fun activities for children to learn about nature.
- Beaut Bugs - how many bugs can you find?
- Leaf Bingo - an easy and fun way to learn how to identify native plants.
- Leaf Bingo Maori Uses - learn about traditional Maori uses for some of our native plants
- Who am I? - animal pests
- Who am I? - birds
- Who am I? - lizards and frogs
- Who did that? - put your detective hat on
- Plant ID Course Cards